Founder of Soundscape Records, City ROARS! Festival and Live Fact
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Mak Wai Hoo is the founder of Soundscape Records; an established Malaysian indie label and promoter started in 2001. He is a seasoned veteran in the music scene and has been instrumental in building the Chinese language fringe scene in the late 1990’s.
- While initially more centered on Malaysia’s burgeoning Chinese indie scene, Mak has expanded his reach to the bigger urban market, bringing the likes of post-rockers Mogwai, Mono, GY!BE, Explosions in the Sky, Kula Shaker, Russian Cirlces, toe, Tortoise, Warpaint, The Album Leaf, Tycho and many more to Malaysia.
- Along with his label, Mak has also played a pivotal role in nurturing the local scene, releasing some of the most exciting and genre-defining albums by Liyana Fizi, NAO, Citizens of Ice Cream, Dirgahayu, among many others.
- In 2019, Mak started the brand new City ROARS! Festival, an international collaboration between his label Soundscape Records and Taiwan’s Emerge Music, the inaugural festival featured acts from various Asian countries.
- Mak is also the backbone behind Live Fact, one of the newly established live houses in Kuala Lumpur.