About CD Baby
Our mission is simple: we help musicians make money from their music. Today there are more ways to do that than ever before.
As our name suggests, CD Baby started in 1998 as an online CD store — and we’ve grown to become:
- the largest global digital distributor of independent music,
- the largest publishing rights administrator in the world,
- one of the most trusted names in the music business,
- and the go-to resource for educational information concerning music promotion, distribution, and rights management.
CD Baby represents over 650,000 recording artists, 100,000 songwriters, half a million albums, and more than 7 million tracks across 800+ genres. We’ve paid out more than $500 million to independent musicians, songwriters, and labels for:
- streams and download sales on over 150 popular digital music platforms (like Spotify, Apple Music, iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, Pandora, etc.)
- CD and vinyl sales
- YouTube ad revenue
- sync licensing fees
- worldwide publishing royalty collection, including mechanical royalties for streams
- and more
Artists such as Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon, Twenty One Pilots, and Macklemore got their start on CD Baby, while others like Ingrid Michaelson and Gregory Alan Isakov have maintained independent and highly successful careers using CD Baby as a key partner for their music distribution. Rooney and George Benson are just two of the many notable artists who’ve dropped the old label system and turned to CD Baby to release music on their own terms.
When you shop at store.cdbaby.com, you’ll find the best and most unique music from around the world, by artists who set their own prices, control their own rights, and earn a higher percentage per sale than through any other retailer.
When you partner with CD Baby to sell, license, or otherwise monetize your own music, you’ll know you’re working with an artist-focused company that has been at the forefront of opening new revenue streams to non-label musicians for the past two decades. Any time a new opportunity arises for your music, we’re there.
Related links: https://cdbaby.com