Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Malaysia’s An Honest Mistake has been nothing short of impressive ever since their debut in 2008. The band, headed up by organizer, lecturer, and musician, Darren Teh (rhythm guitar), may have seen quite a number of personnel changes ever since their inception, but their penchant for creating catchy earworms has remained the same – in fact, it’s evolved. Completing the lineup are Leonard Chua (lead guitar), Tomas Tam (bass) and Ian Ng (drums). The band is now a part of major label, Universal Music Malaysia.
And no wonder. After five albums, countless tours including several trips to Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, India, Korea, Taiwan and the Philippines, the band has matured to create a multi-faceted sound that can range from summery pop tunes to emotional ballads, and the odd pulse-pounding easycore song or two.
They’ve shared the stage with renowned international acts like Boys Like Girls, Motion City Soundtrack, and Against The Current to name a few, and the band shows no signs of stopping anytime soon.
With more material on the way that’s sure to reflect their ability to go between full-on pop rock, relaxed acoustic music, and heavy hardcore–influenced tunes, it’s a mistake not to catch the lads of An Honest Mistake whenever they’re in a town near you.
- Universal Music Malaysia
- Darren Teh // Lead vocals/Guitars
- Tomas Tam // Bass
- Leonard Chua // Guitars
- Ian Ng // Drums
- Facebook – www.facebook.com/anhonestmistake – 38,047 +
- Instagram – www.instagram.com/AHMband – 2,108 +
- Twitter – www.twitter.com/AHMband – 2,502 +
- YouTube – www.youtube.com/anhonestmistaketv/playlists – 1,313 +
- Website – www.ahmband.com
- EPK – https://www.ahmband.com/epk-1
Music Video Links
- We’re Alright – http://bit.ly/2v00NFu
- Everything ft. Julz Savard – http://bit.ly/2xcIMEH
- If I Told You This Was Real – http://bit.ly/2wiCpmM
- Giddy Up Horsie – http://bit.ly/2fTllNi
- All I Want For Christmas Is You – http://bit.ly/2wis8Hf
Live Performance Video Links
- We’re Alright Live at Northern Music Festival 2016 – http://bit.ly/2vMr8JZ
- Full set at Taiwan Ho Hai Yan Gongliao Rock Fest 2016 – http://bit.ly/2fTvoSq
- Full Set at Manila Threadfest 2016 – http://bit.ly/2wq3XWL
- #AnHonestMixtape Music Videos – http://bit.ly/2rbFwdA
- #AnHonestChristmas Music Videos – http://bit.ly/2xcWUhg
Malaysia’s An Honest Mistake has been nothing short of impressive ever since their debut in 2008. The band, headed up by lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist, Darren Teh, joined by Leonard Chua on lead guitars, Tomas Tam on bass and Ian Ng on drums, may have seen quite a number of personnel changes ever since their inception, but their penchant for creating catchy earworms has remained the same – in fact, it’s evolved. Signing with major label, Universal Music Malaysia in March 2016, the band has been on a roll. There are big plans and it’s only a matter of time that we’d be able to see them being rolled out.
And no wonder. After three albums, countless tours including several trips to Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia and the Philippines, the band has matured to create a multi-faceted sound that can range from summery pop tunes to emotional ballads, and the odd pulse-pounding easycore song or two.
They’ve shared the stage with renowned international acts like Boys Like Girls, Motion City Soundtrack, and Against The Current to name a few, and the band shows no signs of stopping anytime soon. With more material on the way that’s sure to reflect their ability to go between full-on rock, relaxed acoustic music, and heavy hardcore–influenced tunes, it’s a mistake not to catch the lads of An Honest Mistake whenever they’re in a town near you.
Darren Teh // Lead vocals/Guitars
Darren is an English major graduate and taught English to international students (Middle Easterns, Central Asians, Chinese, Koreans & Japanese) for 6 years in a prestigious university. He lives a sporty lifestyle by playing basketball and works out regularly at the gym.
He started playing music at the age of 14 in church; beginning with the bass guitar and then picking up guitar as well as drums and keyboard. He joined his first band, Army Of Three, an alternative rock band at the age of 18 (2005) as a bassist and backup vocalist. The band has since recorded 3 albums; all of which he performed and recorded. In 2010, Darren left the band to pursue An Honest Mistake. In 2014, he reunited with the band. Both bands are now running concurrently.
With a passion to grow the local music scene, Darren has taken the initiative to provide a platform for new artistes. Starting in 2010 at Laila’s Café (now defunct), and mainly known for organizing at Laundry from 2011 to 2015, he has put on numerous shows promoting both local and regional artistes. His passion has also grown from organizing gigs to talent management.
At present, Darren has also produced a line of guitar effects pedals called ‘AWESOME’. The Awesome Pedal which is a dual-function pedal (overdrive and boost) and The Awesome Tuner (chromatic tuner). He was inspired to create these pedals to encourage musicians to seek greater tone as well as to stay in tune. Having performed in various countries in South East Asia, Darren has the desire to establish an Asian touring circuit together with some of the best promoters in the region to promote Asian music. With an aim to bring Malaysian music to an international platform, he is constantly working at it; a step at a time.
Tomas Tam // Bass
Tomas is an IT engineer by day but a bassist at night. He also doubles up as a guitarist. He has also successfully rearranged the band’s 3rd release, #THEACOUSTICALBUM. He also performs in an instrumental band, The Metaphorthat has completed a few tours in Taiwan and China.He is an aspiring producer having already self-produced both albums by The Metaphor.
Tomas has been a full time member of An Honest Mistake since 2011. Initially, he was just a stand-in but later on joined as a full time member. As a bassist, Tomas has played for now defunct post-rock band, Silent Scenery as well as eclectic singersongwriter AzmylYunor.
He plays football on a weekly basis and is an avid football fan. He also likes the colours black and white when it comes to fashion.
Leonard Chua // Guitars
Leonard joined as lead guitarist after the guitarist was moved to vocals at the end of 2008. He started playing the guitar at the age of 15 drawing inspiration from Nirvana and Blink 182. He is a business/psychology graduate and has dabbled into various business ventures over the years. He’s been a digital marketer for the most part, but he had also been a manager of a prestigious club, events management and presently, healthcare. That being said, he is also in charge of the band’s business development.
For someone who plays in a pop punk band, tropical house and EDM is often on his playlist. It only goes to show that he likes to chill and party at the same time. There’s a time for fun and there are times when he works hard. He is also a closet DJ where he DJs only at home.
When he’s not playing the guitar, he climbs. He has only started rock climbing actively in 2016 but has climbed some of the best places known for rock climbing in Taiwan, Malaysia and in America.
Ian Ng // Drums
Ian is one of the most easy-going member in the band. He keeps it nice and simple but always in time. Ian is a gym-a-holic and works out at least 5 times a week.
He is also a graphic designer and designs most of the band’s merchandise and artwork. He has designed over 20 t-shirt designs for the band as well as other variations of merchandise.
Ian is a fan of heavy music, namely metalcore and deathcore. However, he also loves trap and hip-hop especially when he’s at the gym. He started playing drums in church at 15 and later on started a metalcore band called Unexpected Mercy where he played guitar in. However, the band broke up while they were recording their EP.
He filled in on drums with the band in 2011 and later on joined as a full time member when the drummer left.
- The Corporate EP (2018)
- An Honest Mixtape (May 2017)
- Everything ft. Julz Savard – Single (February 2017)
- An Honest Christmas EP (December 2016)
- We’re Alright – Single (September 2016)
- All I Want For Christmas Is You – Mariah Carey Cover (December 2015)
- Everything ft. Daiyan Trisha (February 2015)
- #THEACOUSTICALBUM CD/DVD (2014)
- Ain’t Christmas Without You – Single (December 2013)
- This Hari Raya Rocks! Ft. Diana Danielle – Single (September 2012)
- Say What You Want, Say What You Will (2012)
- An Honest Mistake (2010)
- Winner of VIMA 2016 Best Collaboration
- VIMA 2016 Nominee for Best Music Video, Best Rock Song, Best Act In The Universe, Best Collaboration & Best Dance Song
- VIMA Asia 2014 Nominee for Best Music Video
- 2nd place winner of VIMA Malaysia 2014 for Best Music Video
- Winner of Hitz.tv’s Music Video Grant – If I Told You This Was Real, Would You Believe Me? (2011)
- #1 on Hitz.fm’s MET10 – I’ll Take You To The Drag Strip; We’ll Cut To The Chase (2012)
- #1 on Hitz.fm’s MET10 – If I Told You This Was Real, Would You Believe Me? (2011)
- #1 on Hitz.fm’s MET10 – I Have A Hole In My Skinnies And That’s How We Roll (2010)
- Winner of the Voize Independent Music Awards (VIMA) 2010 – Best College Act
- Nominated for the Voize Independent Music Awards (VIMA) 2010 – The Best Sun-Shiny-Feel-Good Song.
- Shared the stage with international acts: Alex Goot (USA), Against The Current (USA), Boys Like Girls (USA), Neck Deep (UK), Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! (FRA), Motion City Soundtrack (USA), Urbandub (PH), Typecast (PH), Faspitch (PH), Chicosci (PH), Pisco (TAIWAN), Soda Green (TAIWAN), FuzzCulture (INDIA)
- Get Indie Music Go @ Mall Of Asia (Manila, Philippines April 2017)
- Rocking The Region @ Esplanade Singapore (March 2017)
- Threadfest Manila (November 2016)
- ZandariFesta 2016 @ Seoul, Korea (September 2016)
- Ho Hai Yan Gongliao Rock Festival, Taiwan (July 2016)
- Vans New Wave Music Festival @ Bangalore, India (Dec 2015)
- The Weekend @ Esplanade Singapore (March 2014)
- Sonicboom Sinulog Blastoff @ Cebu, Philippines (Jan 2012, Jan 2014) Sonicboom Shockwave @ Manila, Philippines (Aug 2012)
- Rock The World 9 (2009) ,10 (2010) , 15 (2015) @ KL
- Baybeats @ Singapore (2010) & Urbanscapes 2010 & 2017
Press Contact/ Bookings