“PLAY YARD by Studio Bar” was pretty much the only bar opened for almost anyone who wanted to organize a small-scale concert back in 2012. Now, it is one of the most well known venues in Bangkok to catch local original music acts of all genres, from indie-pop to hard core. It is frequented by not only Bangkok acts, but also artists from other provinces and even overseas.
The decor has a retro theme, with random but cool furniture, e.g. there are some old oil barrels and broken refrigerators used as table tops.
The place is separated into 3 zones: the “StudioBar”; the “PLAY YARD”; and the “Front”.
This zone is an air-conditioned concert hall and bar area, located in the most inner part of the venue. On a normal evening, there would be a few tables scattered around for patrons to eat and drink with either music playing from the loudspeakers or a house band playing on stage. On special occasions, the tables will be cleared out to fit around 300 concert goers.
The “PLAY YARD”
This part is open-aired with a roof on top, so it might be a bit hot to sit out here. There’s also a little pond with giant 1-meter long fish swimming around, and the dogs and cats here roam free. If you’re a soccer fan, you might enjoy cheering on your favorite team on the large projector screen. Last but not least, the food here is fantastic. Try out their famous ‘Tom Yum Fried Rice’ and ‘Studio Bar’s Crispy Pork’.
Basically, this is the front of the venue. There are a few seats and swings to sit down, hang out, and enjoy a cigarette or two.
- Open everyday 6:00PM-12:30AM (except for special holidays, so check their Facebook page just to be sure if they’re open)
- Facebook Page: PLAY YARD by Studio Bar
- Be sure to check their Facebook page to look out for special events and concerts
- Phone: 085-146-8017, 086-866-8869
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: Lat Phrao soi 8, Yaek 3 (about 100 meters from Ladprao main road)
- How to get there
- Take the MRT (subway) and get off Phahon Yothin station. Take Exit 1 and walk southeast on Lat Phrao road, turn right into Lat Phrao soi 8, walk another 100 meters or so and it’ll be on the left.
- Take a taxi to Lat Phrao soi 8, yaek 3.